It is estimated that learning difficulties affect up to 15% of the world population, being one of the main causes of inadaptation and school failure, with possible consequences in adulthood.
When not properly diagnosed and treated, children with learning disabilities enter a spiral of academic failure, demotivation, low self-esteem, which can lead to more severe mood and/or behavioral disorders.
Early identification is one of the most efficient strategies in order to minimizing these consequences, providing adequate and appropriate intervention in each case.
Learning Difficulties: What are they?
According to the National Joint Committee of Learning Disabilities (1994), “learning difficulties is a generic term that concerns a heterogeneous group of disturbances manifested by significant problems in the acquisition and use of listening, speech, reading, writing, reasoning or mathematics skills.
These disorders, presumably due to central nervous system dysfunction are intrinsic to the individual and can occur throughout their life.”
The Main Warning Signs
The main warning signs that indicate potential learning disability are:
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Confused and disorganized speech
- Inversion, omission, adding letters to speak and/or write
- Exchange words when reading
- Spelling and grammatical errors
- Phonetic difficulties, confusion with the sounds that make up the words
- Difficulties in understanding texts or in what others are saying
- Difficulties in performing arithmetic operations and correct ordering of numbers
- Difficulty in interpreting and solving mathematical problems
- Losing and disorganization of school materials
- Difficulties in managing time and completing tasks
- Behavior problems, low self-esteem and frustration
- Disinterest and unmotivated with things relating to school
Why Choose The NeuroLearning Program?
The brain is the learning organ, the school and parents are the main players in the education of children. With this in mind, our philosophy is that the constant collaboration and communication between the professionals who are part of our team, the parents and the educational member, we can apply the latest knowledge of neurosciences to both the clinical and educational approaches.
In this way, we can provide support with tools and strategies that optimize the teaching-learning process, improving the skills needed for children to learn more easily and therefore reducing frustration which allows them to achieve their academic goals more easily.
Desta forma, conseguimos fornecer apoio com ferramentas e estratégias que optimizem o processo ensino-aprendizagem, melhorem as competências necessárias para que as crianças aprendam com mais facilidade, diminuam a frustração e atinjam mais facilmente os objetivos académicos.