Specific Learning Difficulties SLD are neurodevelopmental disorders, beginning at school age, characterized by persistent difficulties in acquiring key academic skills such as accurate and fluent reading of isolated words, reading comprehension, written expression and spelling, arithmetic calculus and mathematical reasoning. The diagnosis of SLD can only be made after other medical problems (vision, hearing and neurological diseases) have been discarded and the adequacy of the learning teaching process has been measured. These difficulties also have to be inseparable in relation to overall cognitive competence, so a cognitive assessment is essential to ensure that the difficulties encountered by the child are not due to overall cognitive alterations but in fact to a SLD.
Within the SLD, three major groups can be identified: difficulties in reading (accuracy of reading words, fluency and reading comprehension) difficulty with written expression (orthographic precision, accuracy in grammar, punctuation and clarity or organization of written expression) and difficulties in mathematics (sense of number, memorization of numerical facts, precise and fluent calculation and precision in mathematical reasoning).
At the Neurovida clinic, you will find a multidisciplinary team and a personalized program designed to the needs of each patient, called NeuroLearning.
The NeuroLearning assessment process includes:
- Neurophysiological Studies (EEG – Brain Mapping): with this study we will analyze the current conditions of the brain of each patient, this allows us to diagnose with greater precision the possible causes of pathologies.
- A Complete Neuropsychological Assessment: This allows us to evaluate all the abilities of the brain as well as its intelligence by separating it into different modules and evaluating the current state.
- As well as other clinical evaluations: in some cases, when it is considered necessary, speech and occupational evaluations can be performed, with the aim of making an accurate diagnosis of some pathologies.
The NeuroLearning program is divided into different modules and is adapted to the needs of the patient in each of them (memory module, attention module, among others). The effect of treatment is cumulative and with each module completed the effectiveness is more noticeable.
The main benefits of the NeuroLearning program are as follows:
- Free of drugs and their side effects.
- Action is taken on the causes of the child’s difficulties and not only on the symptoms.
- Provide tools to combat difficulties and therefore be able to achieve better academic results.
- Reduces the effects of Specific Learning Difficulties (SLD).